What is so important about a Comfortable Bite?
Are you constantly chipping and breaking your teeth? Do you have headaches and/ or neck pain? Do you wake up in the morning with a sore jaw? Often we seek help from our doctor or chiropractor to treat these conditions. Your dentist can help too. These issues may be linked to your teeth.
An uneven bite is not always easy for you to notice, but left unfixed it may lead to dental, joint and skeletal problems. Fortunately, we can offer non-surgical relief by realigning your bite.
Common reasons for an uneven bite:
- Missing teeth.
- Multiple dental procedures such as crowns and fillings that don’t quite fit.
- Past dentistry eg. Fillings, crowns, or have had missing teeth replaced causing your bite to shift.
Issues linked with an uneven bite include:
- Teeth worn down / broken.
- Headaches / neck aches.
- Stress on your TMJ joint, leading to TMJ disorder.
- Unattractive smile.
Benefits to correcting your bite:
- Prevents future chipping & breaking of teeth.
- Allows for proper and comfortable chewing and speaking.
- Eliminates or reduces TMJ Disorder symptoms.
- An even bite helps create a beautiful smile.
The joint that connects your jaw to your skull at your neck is called the Temporomandibular joint, more easily known as TMJ. When this joint is stressed you may develop the painful TMJ disorder known as TMD. Dr. Ali Farahani can help fix your TMD by fixing bite issues, encouraging jaw relaxation, and building an orthotic for your jaw to help it return to its natural position.
Common reasons for TMJ problems:
- Uneven bite.
- Trauma to the jaw.
- Joint diseases i.e. Arthritis.
- Clenching or grinding of teeth.
- Mouth breathing and childhood Asthma.
- Ill-fitting dentures.
Issues linked with TMJ problems include:
- Headaches, including migraines.
- Sore muscles: Neck/ shoulders/ jaw.
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Vision problems.
- Post nasal drip.
- Swallowing problems.
- Sleep issues.
- Numbness or tingling in your hands and fingers.
Benefits to healing TMD:
- Reduces or eliminates pain in the jaw, neck, and shoulders.
- Reduces or eliminates headaches/migraines.
- Prevents long term damage to your teeth and mouth.
- Helps fix sleep issues by improving airway opening.
- Helps fix posture issues.
Creating an even bite is the first step in fixing the larger issues that come with an uneven jaw. By building up teeth, adding dental implants as needed, and fixing fillings and crowns that don’t fit, your dentist can give you a functional, beautiful smile.
If you are suffering from TMJ problems contact us: 519-275-3600
Before & After Photos
If you are looking for information about “tmj syndrome” you have come to the right place! Read and watch the videos above, read more on our related pages (links below), or contact us!
Learn more about:
For more information on fixing jaw issues like TMJ or other jaw and bite problems, and to discuss how you can get the most comfortable bite, please contact us at 519-275-3600